Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Putting up the Christmas Tree


Chris grew up with waiting until the 23rd to put up the tree...the night before Christmas Eve! I grew up with putting it up Dec 1st! So, we've compromised and decided to put it up after Samuel's birthday every year. (That way, Samuel can feel like it's actually his birthday, and not Christmas with a birthday on the side) and I can enjoy the tree a bit longer than a couple of days. 

Of course real trees are best...the look, the smell, the quality, however, when Samuel was first born we bought ourselves a little plastic tree (because we couldn't afford a real one), and since then, we feel that while the kids are young, and we have a smaller apartment, this little plastic tree is perfect for us! The kids don't know it's small or plastic (or that half the decorations are home-made). So, we put our Christmas music on (American songs this time), waited for daddy to put the tree together, and let the kids go wild. Everyone got into it and had so much fun. t brought a little more of that magical Christmas feeling into our home. After the kids had gone to bed, I just sat in our little living room with the Christmas lights on and our candles in the window and just sat. I love the feeling of Christmas! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kids are so cooperative, helping you in Christmas tree decoration.

Carolina said...

Very cute! My kids just love seeing the pictures you so diligently post! Now they can actually recognize their cousins! We have the same dilemma as you - when to put the tree up. I must becoming a little americanized because I am starting to enjoy having the tree up a little earlier. That way we get to really enjoy it. It also becomes one less thing to worry about in the days leading up to Christmas!

Brian said...

Your kids are getting so big, Mary! Samuel totally looks like a 'big kid'. I loved the picture of Samuel and Sofia hugging by the tree - so cute!

That's funny about the Swedish tradition of putting your tree up late in the month...when I first read the title of your post I thought, "They JUST put their tree up?!" But, I think I agree with you on waiting until after Samuel's birthday...that makes sense. :)

We miss you!

Brian said...

Whoops - This is actually Lindsay...I guess I'm signed into Brian's account. I always do that! :)