Sunday, June 7, 2009

6th of June

Today is Sweden's Independence Day. It is not nearly as a big deal as the 4th of July because, well they've had a pretty calm history. Sweden's always been a "free" country and it was only until a couple years ago that they actually made the 6th of June a National Holiday (ie.paid vacation). So, no one really celebrates here (Midsummer is much bigger) and most people didn't even realize today was the 6th since it's on a Saturday and they don't get that extra day off, but our ward has started a tradition of having a little celebration at our church which I look forward to every year. It's fun to see yellow and blue everywhere and flags painted on faces and the kids run around. I still haven't learned the Swedish National Anthem, but I know the last sentence and it makes me smile every time I hear it..."jag vill leva, jag vill dö i Norden" Translated: I want to live and die in the North! :) And that's how most people here feel. They sing that last part with pride. It's just a peaceful, beautiful (in the summer) country where things seem to move a bit slower. I can't say I love EVERYTHING about Sweden, but after living here for the past 6 1/2 years (can you believe that!), I'm definitely learning to appreciate it and there's a lot of things about Sweden that I really do love (like the fact that you get 13 months paid maternity leave 2 of which the dad has to take (it's an equality thing)) Anyway, happy birthday Sweden!!!

(In case you Americans think I'm turning too Swedish (mom), don't worry, in a month from now, we're planning a huge 4th of July celebration.)

No comments: